How to choose the finish of your wood furniture ?
When choosing your furniture, beyond its shape and aesthetics, it It would be nice to consider also on its finish. Because depending on your needs, depending on its use, the finish will not necessarily be the same and will have to be adapted according to its future location.
Through this article, we will help you see more clearly among these different finishes to best choose your future furniture that will enhance your interior and exterior space.
How to choose the finish of your wooden furniture?
1. Why apply a finish to wooden furniture?
Wherever the piece of furniture is placed, it will be subjected to various aggressions, outside for example with UV rays, climatic changes... Wood is a living material which can also be subjected to knocks, scratches or even being stained if your furniture is regularly exposed to daily passages, such as a table, a chair or an armchair.
- Protection of the furniture: the need to protect the furniture will therefore be essential to reduce the risk of aggression. And this protection will be provided by the finish that will be applied. There are some that will penetrate into the fibers of the wood to protect them in depth or others that will rather create a protective film on the surface so that nothing can pass.
- The choice of aesthetics: finishing products will also be used for their aesthetic characteristics. For example, a protective finish on the surface, called a film-forming finish, will often make it possible to highlight the fibers of the wood more by enhancing its grain. Depending on the finish, the rendering will not be the same at all, it is also a matter of taste.
2. What are the different finishes that exist and what are their advantages?
A species of wood naturally has different colors and veins depending on where the trunk comes from. The finish will therefore not necessarily be the same and there may be variations from one piece of furniture to another. This is what gives the beauty and strength of wood. Let's discover together some finishes that we offer for wooden furniture.
- The oiled finish: this finish has the advantage of deeply nourishing the wood, protecting it from the inside while retaining its authenticity, its warmth and leaving it with a very natural. It lets the wood breathe which allows it to balance itself with the ambient humidity. The oil will allow the wood to be resistant to climatic aggressions, UV rays, as well as stains. Thanks to regular maintenance, it will also be protected against greying.
Oil is appreciated for its matte appearance and silky feel.
On the other hand, it has the disadvantage of having to be applied more regularly, but its maintenance is very simple.
- The varnished finish: it is applied to the interior furniture. It is a finish that forms a protective film on the wood and creates a robust surface. The varnish will allow the wood to protect itself and absorb daily shocks. Thus, scratches, blows, stains will not be to be feared with this finish. It will be very easy to clean.
The other advantage of varnish is that it preserves the natural appearance of the wood and gives it a certain shine. However, it cannot be used for outdoor furniture.
- The stain finish: perfectly suited to outdoor use, the stain will protect the wood from the inside by soaking up the fibers as much as possible. It is a protection of choice against humidity, insects, and UV rays when the stain is colored. It will make it possible to highlight and color the wood, while bringing out its veins.
It is a protection very similar to varnish, but to adapt to the exterior, the film created is more adherent to fibers and more flexible so as not to break with the movements of the wood. This creates a finish that is less natural to the touch than varnish but much more durable.
- The lacquered finish: here is a totally different finish from the previous ones since the wood is completely covered with a lacquer which will give an extremely smooth appearance visually and to the touch. The lacquer creates a waterproof envelope that will protect the wood against all weather conditions and give it incomparable UV resistance. The advantage of this finish is that your furniture will hardly need maintenance.
So if you want minimal maintenance and add color to your patio, this is the finish for you. should ! It is available in matte, glossy or satin.
Unlike oiled finishes, stained, varnished and lacquered finishes require little maintenance. However, when the product must be reapplied, the operation is more cumbersome since it is necessary to remove all of the previous product. This is a service that we offer to restore your furniture after many years of service.
3. What is the maintenance of the furniture according to the chosen finish?
As far as the upkeep of furniture is concerned, it is necessary to differentiate between:
- the film-forming finish (stain, varnish or lacquer type) which offers a durable finish with little 'maintenance. A maintenance coat will only be necessary after 5 to 10 years!
- the oiled finish which requires maintenance every 6-12 months for furniture placed outdoors.
The maintenance of a film-forming finish is done by reapplying the product on a reworked surface: it must be sanded a minimum with the removal of the old coat on the damaged areas. Ideally, the wood should be bare.
Maintaining an oiled finish requires no surface preparation other than applying it to a clean, dry surface.
In outdoor use, wood being a living material, its appearance can gray and crack on the surface. This does not lead to a product defect at any time. It should be sheltered in case of bad weather or non-use if you want to keep its original appearance as much as possible.
To go further, consult our tips for maintaining wooden furniture